Friday 7 February 2014

Straight Out Of Camera Week 5 " Polluted "

This weeks theme chosen by Doug was "Night Sky" the first thing that popped into my head was star trails or star field shots. But, as per usual the Great British weather has other ideas. the sky has been overcast all week, and that's on the occasions you can look up without drowning in rain, so that idea was out.

I spent the week trying to come up with a concept I could do at home in the dry. I considered making a night sky and shooting this but Eje has done a very similar concept and absolutely nailed it.

The problem where I am in the UK is that I'm only 6 miles from the city of Lincoln in one direction, and 6 miles from the town of Gainsborough in the other. This means that there is a lot of light pollution in the area, and unless it's a totally crystal clear night a lot of this is reflected, causing bland, featureless sky at night.

So I thought If that's what I have to work with, I might as well deliberately use it in a concept. So with time running out to complete this weeks shot I headed out into an overcast, windy, rainy night, and this it the image I took.


I wanted to play on the light pollution, and the behemoth that is the Cathedral provides plenty of that! This image is taken from the outskirts of the city. The white fence that you can see behind the car headlight trails (Deliberately thrown in for good measure)  is the fence around Lincoln's West Common, the site of the old racecourse.

The point is, that this is the sky that most city dwelling people get used to, the light pollution in the UK is getting progressively worse as city's and towns continue to grow around our ever increasing population.

Please check out what the other guys have come up with, this is a group project to see how we all interpret different themes and I know they'll appreciate you looking. And feel free to comment at the bottom of this post, I'm always interested in peoples thoughts and opinions about my stuff, and I promise your inbox wont get spammed with shi rubbish ! :-)

Here are the links to the other nutters pages :-)




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the kind words. Like your concept here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete